Thursday, January 23, 2014

To know God's will for my life...first I must know HIM!



What is God's will for my life? Oh my...how many times have I pondered this question? How do I know what direction He wants me to go? Would God's plan disrupt my comfortable life? Have I missed it? Was there some really 'big' thing He wanted me to do and I missed the opportunity? Have I been sleep walking through life...going through the days not paying attention? Most days are not life changing...most days are just regular from the time the alarm goes off  to the end of the day routine...washing my face, brushing my teeth, making sure I have plenty of wrinkle cream slathered on before I climb into my comfortable bed and snuggle in for the night. Then the next the day...the alarm goes off...and the cycle begins again.

Some decisions have been life changing. Making the decision to marry my sweet Mustache Man was life changing. Choosing to change my major was life changing. Some decisions we make are eternity changing...and some are both. Choosing to live in God's will...means I must know HIM. How can I know what He wants without knowing Him?

Where does one even begin with God? The beginning? Where would that be? God has always been...always. Even before the first moment He chose to split the dark from the light He was. We know He existed in a spirit world with angels and heavenly hosts. It is impossible to even think about it too long...it is so mind bending. The Word even tells us He is beyond comprehension...and that He only shares what our human minds can absorb.

Here is just a smidgeon of what we know...

God is all knowing and ever present... 
Psalm 139 - You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.

God is beautiful and desirable...
Psalm 36 - Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the great deep. 

God is good and generous...
Psalm 34 - The righteous cry out and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. 

God is Holy...
Psalm 66 - Shout with joy to God, all the earth! Sing the glory of his name; make his praise glorious! ...All the earth bows down to you; they sing praise to you, they sing praise to your name.

All God does is good...reverence for God is the beginning of wisdom

Psalm 111 - Praise the Lord

...Great are the works of the Lord;
they are pondered by all who delight in them.

 Glorious and majestic are His deeds
and His righteousness endures forever. 

He has caused His wonders to be remembered;
the Lord is gracious and compassionate

He provides food for those who fear Him;
He remembers his covenant forever.

He has shown his people the power of His works, 
giving them the lands of other nations.

The works of His hands are faithful and just;
all His precepts are trustworthy.

They are steadfast for ever and ever,
done in faithfulness and uprightness. 

He provided redemption for his people; 
He ordained his covenant forever-

Holy and awesome is His Name.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
all who follow his precepts have good understanding. 
To HIM belongs eternal praise. 




No comments:

Post a Comment